I got the logs from a rental property that was doing some clean up and, unfortunately, the timing is was pretty poor. Cutting in the summer with all the sap in the trees is less than ideal but I had to take advantage of the readily available wood.
The problem I am seeing with the very wet wood is mold/fungus. The big pine that I took (9 - 4x10 beams :-) had some serious discoloration and growth. Not sure if it was the best idea but I thought that perhaps a little bleach would be a good way to knock it back. Seems to have worked, will have to find out later if it messes my finish up. I figure that I'll rinse all the pieces off good after they dry.
Tool Shed Plan.
Put on the big bar.
Makes for a pretty impressive saw :-)
Buck the log, took the 'small end'.
36" cut was almost not enough!
Too big for the mill, so invert to get it down to manageable sizes.
... and another view.
Result: 4" x 34" 'board'.
All that's needed are some basic tools.
And a plan.
Here are the first four rafters.